Summary: The Documentation Writer is responsible for documenting software products, including manuals and release notes. This involves writing and editing content, as well as creating graphics such as screen captures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write and revise manuals, release notes, FAQs, implementation materials, white papers, user guides, product notifications, and other customer-facing documents.
- Generate help files for products that have online help features.
- Create graphics, including screen captures, diagrams and free form art.
- Maintain document library.
- Review tickets, software design specs, and other documents related to new development, and documents enhancements and bug fixes accordingly.
- Work with Development in planning the documentation requirements for new releases.
- Distributes drafts of documents to the product manager, tester and/or developer to review, and makes edits to the documents based on feedback.
- Proofreads documentation prior to publishing.
- Assists all staff in creating and formatting internal documents.
- Assists support and training departments, as needed, to prepare internal training documents.
- Responsible for gathering information and participating in the generation and distribution of release notes.
- Provide feedback to development team and communicate problems with feature sets.
- Communicate documentation project status to management along with acquiring proper approvals.
- Consistently meet or exceed project deadlines to coincide with product releases.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Writing, English, Computer Science or a related field preferred
- Demonstrated ability to write complex and detailed documents
- Strong computer skills, Windows OS, Microsoft Office products and Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of financial systems and/or banking preferred
- Resourceful, self-motivated and deadline-oriented
- Excellent communication skills, including strong writing and editing practices
- General understanding of software development process
- Ability to work independently